Make this easy and delicious sweet corn soup to satisfy your soup craving. With just a few simple ingredients this comforting corn soup will be ready in about 30 minutes. Use fresh corn or canned corn. Serve hot as brunch or a light lunch or dinner with crusty bread or pasta.
About Corn Soup Recipe
I have fond memories of this soup as I have been making it since I was a teenager. My family would often request my special sweet corn soup whenever they craved an Indo-Chinese recipe.
This is a unique recipe created by me and I have been using it for years. I have not tweaked it or modified it at all.
I like to use minimal flavorings in this soup so that the taste of the sweet corn comes through and is not overpowered. After all, it is sweet corn soup.
I make my corn soup using sweet corn kernels. For the best flavors select fresh and ripe corn.
You will need to steam the corn on the cob first and then remove the corn from the cob to make the soup. The sweet corn should be ripe, juicy and have a vibrant yellow color once cooked.
I do not use cream-styled sweet corn from tins because I don’t like the taste or texture. It’s always best to use fresh veggies when you cook instead of using tinned vegetables. I also choose not to include Ajinomoto in Indo-Chinese food.
This sweet corn soup is light and refreshing to make the perfect starter or brunch option. Serve this soup hot and don’t forget to garnish it with spring onion greens (scallions).
How to Make Sweet Corn Soup
Steaming Corn Cobs
I always use fresh corn cobs for this soup. But feel free to use fresh or frozen corn kernels. If using canned corn kernels, then move to the step where the corn is blended – take 1 cup of rinsed and drained corn kernels.
1. Choose to cook the corn cobs by the method that suits you. You can steam or boil them in a pan, Instant Pot or a stovetop pressure cooker. I show the method of steaming corn in a pan.
Take 1.5 cups water in a pan or pot. Let the water come to a boil on medium heat.
2. Place a steamer pan on the pot.
3. Halve or quarter the corn cob and place them on the steamer pan.
4. Cover the pan with a lid and steam corn for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat.
5. Remove steamed corn cobs with the help of pasta tongs and place them in a bowl or plate. Leave the corn cobs to cool at room temperature.
6. Use a knife to carefully scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
7. Set aside 2 tablespoons of corn kernels that we will use later.
Blending Steamed Sweet Corn
8. Transfer the remaining steamed corn kernels to a blender.
9. Add 3 tablespoons of water or as needed.
10. Blend the corn kernels and water in a blender until smooth.
Making Sweet Corn Soup
11. Heat 1.5 tablespoons of any neutral flavored oil in a pan. Add 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion whites and 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery.
12. Mix and sauté for two minutes on low heat or until the flavors of both the onions and celery comes through in the oil.
You can use shallots, red onions or white onions in place of spring onions. For a vegetarian option, add butter instead of oil.
13. Keep the heat to a low and add the blended corn paste to the sautéed onions and celery.
14. Stir and mix well.
15. Pour 1.5 cups of water or vegetable stock into the pan.
16. Mix to combine well.
17. Bring the soup to a boil on medium-low to medium heat. Stir occasionally.
18. When the soup comes to a boil, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of steamed corn kernels that we had set aside.
19. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of fresh crushed black pepper and salt according to taste. Mix well.
20. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
Thickening Corn Soup
21. Meanwhile in a small bowl take 2 teaspoons of cornstarch (also known as cornflour in UK and India) and 2 tablespoons of water.
22. Mix thoroughly to form a smooth paste without lumps.
23. Keeping the heat to a low, add this cornflour paste or slurry to thicken the sweet corn soup.
24. As soon as you add cornstarch paste, mix it quickly so that it does not start to thicken and form lumps. Mix it with the entire soup mixture. You can use a wired whisk here to mix the cornstarch paste with soup.
25. Simmer the soup further for 2 to 3 minutes on low to medium-low heat, to make sure that the cornflour gets cooked and the soup is thickened.
Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary. Pour the corn soup into soup bowls. Serve the soup hot and garnish with chopped celery, scallion/spring onion greens or crushed black pepper.
This recipe serves 2 servings but is easily adaptable to be scaled to make a larger batch.
If there are any leftovers, refrigerate for 1 to 2 days. Reheat in a small saucepan adding some water or vegetable stock to thin the soup a bit – as it will thicken more after refrigeration.
The main ingredient in corn soup is sweet corn. There are many different ways to prepare corn soup. Some recipes include fresh corn while others use tinned corn.
This recipe includes fresh sweet corn kernels, water, pepper, cornflour, scallions, celery, oil and salt.
It takes about 6 to 8 minutes to boil corn on the cob in water in a pan covered with lid. To steam, it takes 8 to 10 minutes.
I have listed the steaming method above, but for boiling, bring some water to a boil in a pot. Then add the corn on the cob. Cover and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes on medium heat.
You can tell when corn is cooked perfectly by the color, taste and smell. As corn cooks, it will become more yellow in color and the kernels will become firmer yet tender.
You can also taste the corn to check if it’s done. Use a knife to scrape a few corn kernels off the cob. The corn should taste sweet and juicy.
Yes, you can. Once the corn is cooked reserve the water and add it to the corn soup instead of plain water.
Celery is a herb used in Asian and European cuisines. Vegetable stock is prepared by slow cooking or simmering vegetables in water for about 30 to 45 minutes.
The flavorful water that is used to cook the veggies is strained and used as a stock. I have earlier shared my Vegetable Stock recipe.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Corn Soup (Vegan Sweet Corn Soup)
Sweet corn soup is an easy and delicious soup made from fresh American sweet corn, scallions, herbs and spices. With just a few simple ingredients make this comforting soup for a light lunch or dinner.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 30 mins
For Steaming Corn
For Garnish – Choose Any
I always make this soup with fresh corn cobs. But you can use fresh or frozen corn kernels. If you plan to use canned corn kernels, then move to the step where the corn is blended to a paste.
You have the option of cooking the corn cobs in a pan, Instant Pot or a stove top pressure cooker. I list here the method of steaming corn in a pot.
Heat 1.5 cups water in a saucepan or pot and let it come to a boil on medium heat.
Place a steamer pan or rack inside.
Halve or quarter the corn cob and place them on the steamer pan.
Cover the saucepan with a lid and steam the sweet corn cobs for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat.
When done remove the corn cobs with the help of pasta tongs and transfer them in a bowl or plate. Let them become warm or cool at right temperature.
With a knife carefully remove the corn kernels from the corn cobs. Take out 2 tablespoons of corn kernels and set them aside.
Making sweet corn paste
Making corn soup
Heat oil in a pan. On low heat sauté the spring onions whites and celery for 2 minutes.
Add the ground and blended sweet corn paste and mix well.
Next add water or vegetable stock. Mix again and allow the soup to come to a boil on medium-low to medium heat.
Now add 2 tablespoons of corn kernels that was set aside earlier. Also season with crushed black pepper and salt. Stir and simmer further for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
Meanwhile in a small bowl make a smooth paste or slurry of the cornstarch and water.
Keeping the heat to a low, add this cornstarch paste to the simmering soup.
As soon as you add cornstarch paste, mix it quickly so that it does not start to thicken and form lumps. Mix it with the entire soup mixture. You can use a wired whisk here to mix the cornstarch paste with soup.
Continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat until the soup thickens and the cornstarch gets cooked.
Check the seasonings and adjust if needed.
Pour the sweet corn soup in bowls. Garnish with some chopped spring onions greens or parsley or chives. Add a touch of crushed black pepper.
Enjoy the soup as or with a garlic bread or crusty bread.
- Liquids: For the liquids, you can choose water or vegetable stock. If using canned veggie stock, then choose low sodium stock. To make a vegetarian soup, add ¾ cup of whole milk and ¾ cup of water.
- Onions: Scallions or spring onions add a nice fresh flavor to the soup. But you can add shallots, red onions or white onions instead.
- Thickeners: For thickening the soup, I have used cornstarch. Swap cornstarch with arrowroot flour, tapioca starch or potato starch.
- Sweet Corn: Instead of corn on the cob, you can use fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels. If using canned corn kernels, take about 1 cup and then rinse them well in water. Drain the water and then blend the corn kernels add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water or as needed to make a smooth paste.
- Vegetables: To make the soup more colorful and flavorful, add vegetables like grated carrot, finely chopped french beans, grated cabbage, chopped broccoli, frozen green peas.
- Consistency: Adjust the consistency by adding less or more water or veggie stock.
Corn Soup (Vegan Sweet Corn Soup)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Vitamin A 223IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 5mg6%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin K 29µg28%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 28µg7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Corn Soup recipe from the blog archives first published in January 2013 has been updated and republished on April 2023.