It’s a lovely Summer Friday and the perfect time to share cocktail #2 for our summer cocktail series! Did you catch this incredible Spiked Tropical Green Juice (aka Green Margarita) from last week? If you couldn’t tell, we’re bringing the party for the rest of the season.
The team and I fell head-over-heels in LOVE with this creamy, perfectly sweet, easy coconut margarita recipe. It’s the best combo of tart and sweet and seriously tastes like you’re sipping a cold pina colada on the beach (even if your beach is a lake in my case). Coconut Lime Margarita, Put the Lime in the Coconut Margarita, whatever you want to call it, just know that it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
We’ve added instructions for adding a beautiful toasted coconut rim because you know we like to be a lil’ extra. Enjoy this happy hour delight with girlfriends, at a party, and anywhere you want to be transported to a tropical island!
Easy coconut margarita ingredients
That’s right, you’ll just need 4 core ingredients to make this refreshing, sweet, tart, tropical margarita:
- Tequila: I like to use silver tequila, also known as tequila blanco, in all of my margarita recipes. I haven’t tried this recipe using a different liquor so I can’t be sure how the taste will come out!
- Lime: we’re squeezing some fresh lime juice for the perfect amount of tartness.
- Sweetener: feel free to use agave syrup or simple syrup to sweeten the margarita. See below to learn how to make your own simple syrup with just 2 ingredients! A lot of margarita recipes call for triple sec or Cointreau, but I prefer agave.
- Coconut milk: you’ll need some full-fat coconut milk (from the can) to get that true coconut flavor. Many people use cream of coconut or coconut cream, which adds a lot of sweetness and thickness, but I like the combination of canned coconut milk with a little agave to get a more natural flavor.
- To garnish: I like to top my glass with a toasted shredded coconut rim, lime zest, and a lime wedge!
How to make simple syrup
A quick shortcut for simple syrup: shake equal parts granulated sugar and water (3 tablespoons each would be enough for 2 coconut margaritas) in a small jar for 1-2 minutes until the sugar dissolves. That’s it!
Garnish those glasses
The most fun part of this coconut margarita is the toasted coconut rim. It’s SO pretty and easy to do! Simply:
- Toast your shredded coconut in a pan over low heat for about 4-6 minutes, stirring often, until the coconut is barely golden brown. Then pour it onto a small plate to cool.
- Cut a wedge from a lime and rub the cut side of the lime along the rim of each glass.
- Dip the rims of your glasses in the toasted coconut, rolling side to side until they’re both coated.
Coconut lime margarita in 3 easy steps
- Prep your glasses. Start by adding the shredded toasted coconut to each glass (if using).
- Shake it up. Add all of the margarita ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake it up for 15-20 seconds until well combined.
- Garnish & serve. Divide the coconut margarita into two glasses and garnish with a lime wedge + extra lime zest!
Can I serve more people?
Absolutely! This coconut lime margarita is really easy to double, triple, or quadruple for a crowd. Add the ingredients to a pitcher and stir it up well before serving.
Our favorite cocktail-making tools
Get all of our go-to kitchen essentials here!
More cocktail recipes you’ll love
Get all of my cocktail recipes here!
I hope you love this coconut margarita recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Coconut Lime Margarita
Incredible 4-ingredient coconut margarita made perfectly sweet, tart, and creamy with fresh lime juice and coconut milk. Top your glass with toasted shredded coconut for an extra tropical flavor, and enjoy this fun twist on a classic margarita recipe! The best cocktail for the beach, pool, or patio hangouts.
- For the cocktail:
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces agave (or simple syrup)
- 3 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups ice
- For serving:
- Lime wedges for rimming the glass + garnishing
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened finely shredded coconut for rimming the glass
- Lime zest for garnish
Start by making the toasted coconut rim. Add shredded coconut to a pan over medium-low heat on the stove. Cook, stirring often, until coconut is toasted, about 4-6 minutes, then pour toasted coconut on a plate and allow to cool for a few minutes. Use a lime wedge to wet the rim of the glass, then dip the rim of the glass in the toasted coconut, rolling from side to side until well coated. Repeat with the second glass.
Next, make the margarita. Add tequila, agave (or simple syrup), lime juice, coconut milk, and ice to a cocktail shaker. Cover tightly and shake for 15-20 seconds.
Divide the margarita between the prepared glasses and garnish with a lime wedge on the rim and freshly grated lime zest on the surface of the margarita. Cheers!
See the full post for tips, tricks, and ways to customize this margarita!
Serving: 1margaritaCalories: 301kcalCarbohydrates: 20.9gProtein: 1.1gFat: 10.2gSaturated Fat: 8.9gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 16.3g