Upgrade your breakfast with this simple Breakfast Fried Rice. Sausage, eggs, and colorful bell peppers mix with white rice, all seasoned for a tasty kick. Top it off with green onions and everything bagel seasoning.
What is Breakfast Fried Rice?
This recipe is a twist on my classic Easy Fried Rice. If everyone loves this for dinner so much, why not try a variation for the best meal of the day… breakfast! The delicious combo of sausage, eggs, veggies and rice all seasoned with my Everything Bagel Seasoning will become your new favorite!
With the added touch of soy sauce and the delightful crunch of green onions and everything bagel seasoning, this recipe will elevate your mornings. Start your day off right with this irresistible breakfast experience that will leave you energized and craving more.
Ingredients in Breakfast Fried Rice
This breakfast fried rice recipe is so easy to put together and it’s a great recipe to make ahead of time and meal plan for your entire week! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Ground Sausage: Adds savory flavor and protein to the recipe.
- Onion: This adds depth and a hint of sweetness to the dish.
- Red and Green Bell Pepper: Offers color and a mild crunch to the rice.
- Eggs: Introduces a creamy texture and additional protein to the breakfast fried rice.
- Cooked White Rice: Serves as the base, providing a satisfying and hearty element to the dish.
- Soy Sauce: This adds in an umami and a savory flavor, enhancing the overall taste.
- Green Onions: This is optional but I like to garnish my rice with the green onions.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: This is a MUST when seasoning your rice! You can buy it at the store or make it at home with my recipe here.
How to Make Breakfast Fried Rice
This recipe only takes about 20 minutes to put together. Not to mention that the flavor it delivers is bolw and delicious. You won’t want to miss out on this savory breakfast!
- Cook Sausage: Heat a large skillet or work. Cook and crumble the sausage over medium high heat until the sausage is cooked and no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and leave the grease in the pan to sautee the vegetables.
- Sauté Onions: Add the chopped onion, peppers, and sauté for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Scramble the Eggs: Slide your veggies to one side and then add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until cooked through and combine it with the onions and peppers.
- Add Rice: Add the cooked rice and sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add Soy Sauce: Stir in the soy sauce to taste then let the rice heat through.
- Garnish: Garnish with chopped green onions and everything bagel seasoning.
Frequently Asked Questions
This breakfast fried rice can be made ahead, switched up, and made perfectly just for you! Here are some tips on how to make this recipe work for you and your family.
- Is there a vegetarian version of this recipe? Certainly, you can omit the sausage and add more veggies or plant-based protein alternatives.
- Can I adjust the seasoning to my taste? Absolutely! Feel free to customize the seasoning, soy sauce, and garnishes according to your preferences. In fact, you can use whatever your favorite seasonings are instead. You can make this rice taste different every time!
- Can I use pre-cooked rice to save time? Definitely, using pre-cooked rice can make the preparation even quicker.
- Can I freeze the leftovers? While it’s possible, the texture of rice can change after freezing. Fresh is usually best.
- What other vegetables can I add? To add more variety then try adding veggies like carrots, peas, corn, or broccoli.
Make it Ahead of Time
Need to meal plan for your breakfasts this week? This recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. In fact, I might argue that it’s better the next day!
- Prepare all the ingredients as described, let them cool down, and store them separately in airtight containers in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, warm everything up in a pan, mix it together, and add the soy sauce and toppings for a quick and tasty breakfast.
Heat a large skillet or work. Cook and crumble the sausage over medium high heat until the sausage is cooked and no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and leave the grease in the pan to sautee the vegetables.
Add the chopped onion and peppers and sauté for 5-7 minutes until they are tender.
Slide your veggies to one side and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until cooked through and combine it with the onions and peppers.
Add the cooked rice and sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine.
Stir in the soy sauce to taste. Let the rice heat through.
Garnish with chopped green onions and everything bagel seasoning.
Serving1cupCalories405kcal (20%)Carbohydrates31g (10%)Protein18g (36%)Fat23g (35%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Polyunsaturated Fat3gMonounsaturated Fat10gTrans Fat0.2gCholesterol136mg (45%)Sodium856mg (36%)Potassium396mg (11%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A610IU (12%)Vitamin C29mg (35%)Calcium66mg (7%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.