TACOS. They’re more than just a meal, they’re truly a love language. I don’t think I’ve met one person who doesn’t like tacos. I mean, they’re one of the most versatile, customizable, and affordable meals you could ever make, and pack tons of flavors and textures. What’s not to love?
I put together 9 of my best healthy taco recipes that will have your tastebuds dancing and your friends and family coming back for seconds.
Tips & tricks for making healthy tacos
Tacos are such a fun, delicious meal to make and share with friends and family, and they’re also perfect for meal prep. You truly can’t go wrong in terms of what you like to add to your tacos (hello, DIY taco bars), but here are a few easy tips for making them extra nutritious:
- Use lean proteins: I love making taco meat with ground chicken, ground turkey, and salmon instead of ground beef for a leaner protein that still packs tons of protein.
- Try vegetarian options: serving vegetarians (or looking for a Meatless Monday idea)? Swap the meat in any of your fav recipes with black beans, chickpeas, tofu, or just pile them up with veggies.
- Go heavy on freshness: tacos are truly a perfect food in my eyes because you can load them up with tons of colorful, fresh ingredients. Diced fruits and veggies, fresh cilantro, avocado, and homemade salsa will pair perfectly with your fav proteins and sauces. Even a squeeze of lime juice here and there will bring out all of the flavors!
- Easily make them gluten free: if you’re gluten-free or serving gluten free guests, remember to buy all corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. It’s an easy swap! Siete makes great grain free tortillas as well, and you could always serve the taco toppings over my easy Green Rice or on a bed of greens for a low-carb option.
Easy homemade taco seasoning
One thing I swear by in almost every taco recipe? An incredible, easy homemade taco seasoning with the perfect blend of spices that you can literally put on everything. Make a big batch and keep it in a jar to use whenever the taco cravings hit!
Fire up the grill
Another great way to jazz up your tacos is to grill your veggies and proteins! Here are some great tutorials and recipe ideas to use in tacos:
How to char tortillas for tacos
Your corn tortillas will be extra delicious with a little charring on them!
- Turn on your stovetop burner to the lowest setting.
- Place one tortilla on the burner and let it heat up for about 45 seconds – checking frequently to make sure it’s not burning.
- Once it has the desired char, carefully flip the tortilla with tongs and char on the other side.
- The tortilla might puff up a bit once you flip, which is okay!
- Cover your tortillas with a dishtowel as you finish them so that they stay warm.
Don’t forget these toppings & sides
Getting ready for Taco Tuesday? Serve up your tacos with:
Let’s get to it — scroll below to check out my 9 amazing, healthy tacos recipes and get a taco night on your calendar ASAP!
Crazy Good Street Corn Chicken Tacos: incredible street corn chicken tacos made with flavorful sazon grilled chicken, seasoned grilled corn, fresh avocado salsa and an addicting jalapeño lime cashew sauce.
Amazing Easy Turkey Tacos (with a slow cooker option!): easy healthy turkey tacos made on the stovetop or in your slow cooker. These delicious ground turkey tacos are made with a perfectly spiced, flavorful DIY homemade taco seasoning that you’ll want to use for tons of recipes.
Chipotle Lime Salmon Tacos with Corn Avocado Peach Salsa & Cilantro Yogurt Sauce: incredible chipotle salmon tacos with fresh corn avocado peach salsa and a creamy, spicy cilantro yogurt sauce. These baked chipotle lime salmon tacos are packed with flavor and protein for the perfect dinner
Sheet Pan Roasted Veggie Tacos (with yummy sauce options!): beautiful sheet pan roasted veggie tacos filled with perfectly seasoned vegetables and plenty of plant-based protein.
Gaby’s Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa: bright, flavorful grilled fish tacos piled with homemade slaw, pineapple-mango salsa, and a homemade chipotle crema.
Salsa Verde Lentil Tacos with Mango-Pomegranate Pico: vegetarian lentil tacos in an amazing homemade salsa verde sauce, and topped with a mango-pomegranate pico.
Jalapeño Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema: sweet potato black bean tacos with an addicting avocado lime crema. These easy to make tacos are perfect for vegetarians or a meatless weeknight dinner!
Blackened Salmon Tacos with Forbidden Rice & Mango Guacamole: these blackened salmon tacos are filled with fresh flavor and plenty of protein for the perfect weeknight dinner. Options to bake or grill the salmon included with tips, plus ways to use leftovers!
More fun ways to enjoy tacos
We can all agree that tacos are perfect in every form, which is why I’ve shared a few taco-inspired recipes that skip the traditional tortilla and jazz up your fav taco fillings in fun new ways: