Just like any other vegetable, root veggies are also an important part of our lives. Out of the entire lot, beetroot or beets are one of those root vegetables that are not really popular with people. But we really can’t ignore the health benefits it has. For the same reason, I have shared my personal favorite collection of 16 Indian Beetroot Recipes here. These Beetroot Recipes include dry preparations (sabji), side dishes, snacks and sweets too.
Beetroots are rich in iron, calcium and minerals and there are various ways you can include them in your meals. With this compilation, you will be able to dish-up some really simple and easy recipes with this gorgeous looking veggie, at the comfort of your home.
More on Beetroot
Like I said, beetroot is a root vegetable having a vibrant crimson & deep red color. It also has a slightly sweet taste with an intense earthy flavor. Usually consumed both for its delicious taste and potential health benefits, its distinctive color comes from pigments called betalains, which also have antioxidant properties. Beetroot can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled.
It’s a rich source of essential nutrients, including dietary fiber, vitamins like folate and vitamin C, and minerals like potassium and iron. Additionally, beetroot contains natural compounds called nitrates, which have been associated with potential cardiovascular and exercise performance benefits.
Beetroots and carrots often make an appearance in our menu. Apart from preparing the Beetroot Recipes listed below, I also add beetroots to pulao/pilaf or mixed vegetable dishes. Due to its versatility and nutritional profile, Indian Beetroot Recipes range from salads, soups and juices to more, and even used as a natural food coloring.
Use of beetroot in Indian cuisine
Before you actually check my selection of Indian Beetroot Recipes in this post, here’s a bit more on the use of this nutritious vegetable. As I mentioned, beetroot is used in various ways in Indian cuisine to add both flavor and color to dishes.
Apart from the Beetroot Recipes mentioned on this post, here are a few common uses of beetroot in Indian cooking:
- Beetroot is often used to make yummy vibrant curries. The beetroot is peeled, diced, and cooked with spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, and sometimes red chili powder. The curry base can be of onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger or coconut milk or ground coconut and spices paste.
- Halwa is a traditional Indian sweet dish made from various ingredients. Beetroot halwa is prepared by grating or finely chopping beetroot, cooking it in ghee (clarified butter), and then adding milk, sugar, and cardamom for flavor. It’s a rich and indulgent dessert.
- Pulao or pilaf is a rice dish made with aromatic spices and vegetables. Beetroot chunks can be added to the rice while cooking, infusing both color and flavor into the dish.
- Beetroot can be used to make hearty soups. The beetroot is usually blended with other vegetables and broth, creating a nutritious and colorful soup.
- Cutlets or patties made of beetroot are a popular snack or appetizer. Grated beetroot is mixed with mashed potatoes, spices, and breadcrumbs to form patties, which are then shallow-fried until crispy and golden.
- Chutneys are a staple in Indian cuisine and can be made from a variety of ingredients. Beetroot can be turned into a tangy chutney by blending it with ingredients like tamarind, coconut, and various spices.
- Beetroot can be pickled with a mix of spices, vinegar, and sometimes mustard oil. This pickle is not only a tangy and spicy accompaniment to meals but also adds a pop of color to the plate.
16 Beetroot Recipes
With beetroots, the color of the dish that you prepare changes to a nice pink to crimson red tone, depending on the ingredients used in the recipe. So, the food looks very colorful and appealing to the eyes. These Indian Beetroot Recipes list features just some of such tasty and pretty looking dishes.
And while you’re at this collection of Beetroot Recipes, you can also check these other popular veggie recipes collections:
This Veg Sandwich Recipe is a popular Mumbai street food of flavorful and tasty sandwiches made with mix vegetables like beetroot, potato, tomato, onion and cucumber paired with butter, green chutney and a few ground spice powders. Also famous as the Bombay Sandwich, this is a sweet, salty, spicy and savory recipe filled with a flavor that will leave you wanting for more!
This Grilled Sandwich Recipe which also happens to be an Indian street food favorite is filled with spiced cilantro chutney and delicious vegetables, then grilled to perfection. If you’re in the market for a new veggie laden sandwich, try my authentic Indian Veg Grilled Sandwich recipe today!
This collection of Beetroot Recipes from the blog archives was first published in January 2017. It has been updated and republished in August 2023.