Because citrus season = life I had to reshare this incredible cocktail recipe using one of the most underrated citrus fruits of all time. If you’ve never had a blood orange before it’s time to jump on the blood orange train because they’re juicy, deliciously sweet, and absolutely gorgeous.
Remember Rebecca’s pomegranate margarita recipe? Well, our resident cocktail queen is at it again with this beautiful, spicy blood orange margarita that has fresh blood orange juice and a kick of heat from jalapeño. You know I love all things spicy, so I quickly fell in love with this lovely drink.
Today just so happens to be Cinco de Mayo, too, so it’s the perfect time to get your people together to make a few margs or a whole pitcher and enjoy!
Fall in love with blood oranges
If you’ve never had a blood orange before, now is the time! They’re only in season from December through May, so this is the perfect time to get the last of the blood oranges this season. They typically look like regular oranges on the outside, but their insides are deep red instead of orange. They happen to be sweeter than regular oranges, too, so they’re the perfect citrus fruit to use in margaritas!
I mean, how gorgeous is that color?!
Ingredients in this blood orange margarita
You’ll just need 5 simple ingredients (plus optional garnishes) to make these wonderful spicy blood orange margaritas:
- Tequila: I like to use silver tequila in my margaritas, but reposado tequila is another great option if you like a more oak-y or aromatic flavor.
- Simple syrup: you’ll need some simple syrup to add the perfect amount of sweetness. See below for instructions on how to make it yourself!
- Juice: we’re shaking both fresh lime juice and fresh blood orange juice for a refreshing flavor. You’ll LOVE how delicious the blood orange juice is!
- Jalapeño: because this is a spicy margarita, you’ll add jalapeño slices right to the shaker. YUM.
- For serving: I like to rim the glass with tajín or salt, plus add thin blood orange slices for a pretty garnish.
Customize your margarita
Because this blood orange margarita is made with just a few ingredients, it’s also easy to customize based on your taste preferences. Here are some ways to make it your own:
- Add bubbles: a little club soda on top would make this a fun, bubbly margarita!
- Choose the spice level: if you’re sensitive to spice, simply use fewer jalapeño slices or omit them altogether.
- Try a new fruit: I love the unique flavor of blood oranges, but grapefruit would also be delicious! Remember to try out our pomegranate margarita, too.
How to make homemade simple syrup
Simple syrup is super easy to make right at home! To make it you’ll simply shake equal parts granulated sugar and water together in a jar for about 1-2 minutes until the sugar dissolved. In this recipe, 2 tablespoons of each would be enough for 2 of these blood orange margaritas.
Don’t forget that garnish
It’s optional, but I love adding tajín or sea salt to the rim of my glass! Tajín is a Mexican spice blend that typically consists of dried, ground chilies, sea salt and dehydrated lime juice. The chilies and lime go perfectly with this spicy blood orange margarita.
To rim your glass you’ll simply cut a wedge from a lime and rub the cut side of the lime along the rim of your favorite glass. Pour tajín (or sea salt) onto a plate and dip the wet glass rim into the tajín to coat it.
Easy blood orange margarita in 3 steps
- Salt the rim. Before making the cocktail, add salt or tajín to the rim using the instructions above.
- Shake it up. Add all of the ingredients (besides garnishes) to a cocktail shaker or mason jar with 1/2 cup ice cubes. Shake it all up.
- Serve & enjoy! Add some ice to your glasses, then pour the margarita, top with blood orange slices and enjoy!
Our favorite cocktail-making tools
- Shake it up with a cocktail shaker
- A simple strainer in case your shaker doesn’t have one
- I love using this hand juicer for all things juicing
- Cute cocktail glasses like these or these
- A pitcher for serving a party
Get all of our go-to kitchen essentials here!
More drinks & cocktails
Get more drink recipes here!
I hope you love this spicy blood orange margarita! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Spicy Blood Orange Margarita
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Refreshing and delicious spicy blood orange margarita made with 5 simple ingredients! This beautiful blood orange margarita recipe is easy to make and such a fun way to enjoy blood oranges. Perfect for date night, girls’ night, or tripling to serve a crowd!
- For the margarita:
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce simple syrup* (2 tablespoons)
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (1/4 cup fresh lime juice)
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 2-4 jalapeño slices, depending on how spicy you like it
- For serving:
- Tajín (or sea salt) and a lime wedge for rimming the glass, if desired
- Thin blood orange slices
If you’d like to rim your glass, do this first. Cut a wedge from a lime and rub the cut side of the lime along the rim of your favorite glass. Pour tajín (or sea salt) onto a plate and dip the wet glass rim into the tajín to coat it.
Add tequila, simple syrup, fresh lime juice, blood orange juice and jalapeño slices to a cocktail shaker. Then add about ½ cup of ice cubes to the shaker, cover tightly, and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Add ice to two glasses then immediately pour the margarita mixture over, garnish with blood orange slices. Enjoy!
*A quick shortcut for simple syrup: shake equal parts granulated sugar + water (2 tbsp. each would be enough for 2 drinks) in a small jar for 1-2 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
Feel free to double, triple or quadruple the recipe to serve more.
Servings: 2 servings
Serving size: 1 margarita
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on February 23rd, 2022, and republished on May 4th, 2023.