The ultimate toast recipe is here. Why ultimate? Because this one has both Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and cheese in it. Thus, this Paneer Toast has a spiced paneer mixture slathered on bread slices, topped generously with cheese and toasted till perfection. Another USP of this open Paneer Cheese Sandwich is that you can make it on your skillet, frying pan or tawa. The most scrumptious quick-fix to satiate your snack hunger pangs.
More on Paneer Toast
Since you are here, before beginning with this recipe, you must check out the Paneer Sandwich recipe as well. If you’re a lover of paneer and sandwiches, this post is really going to make you smile, cheek to cheek. You’ll get to know 2 ways to make a mouth-watering sandwich with cottage cheese. Don’t miss it.
Now, back to the Paneer Toast. I also call it an open sandwich since it is made that way. This particular recipe does not take much time to get done and is super easy too. I mean literally the best way to just take some bread slices, top it up with a spiced, herby paneer mixture and grated cheese, and toast till the cheese melts.
For the cheesy bit, I have used my favorite mozzarella cheese. But if you do not have it at home, you can use cheddar cheese, processed cheese or even pizza cheese. As long as there is any one of the cheeses on the paneer toast, everything’s going to be more than just fine.
While here I have shown an open sandwich way of preparing the Paneer Cheese Toast on a skillet, it is not mandatory that you take the same route. You can even stuff the paneer mixture with the cheese in between 2 slices of bread and grill/toast them in an oven/griller to make a regular Paneer Cheese Sandwich.
Once done, don’t wait and serve immediately. Because if the toast becomes cold, it will lose its charm. You can have it either with tomato ketchup, chili sauce, sriracha sauce, coriander chutney or mint chutney. Just make sure you eat it, then and there.
How to make Paneer Toast
Make Paneer Filling
1. Grate 1 cup paneer and keep aside. You can also crumble paneer finely.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons butter or oil in a frying pan or a small kadai.
3. Once the butter melts, add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
4. Sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
5. Next, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
6. Then, add ⅓ cup finely chopped capsicum. You can use red, green or yellow capsicum (bell pepper). Here, I have used red bell pepper.
7. Mix well.
8. On low to medium-low heat, sauté till the onions turn translucent. If you have boiled sweet corn or canned sweet corn, you can add it at this step.
9. Now, add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder. A bit of black pepper can also be added.
10. Mix very well.
11. Add paneer.
12. Mix well and switch off the heat.
13. Lastly, season with salt as per taste.
14. Mix well, once again and keep the pan aside.
Make Paneer Toast
15. Now, grate 1 cup mozzarella cheese and keep aside.
16. Take the bread slices. You can slice off the edges if you want.
17. Spread some butter or oil on a heavy skillet or frying pan or tawa on low heat. Place the bread slices on it. You can keep 2 to 3 bread slices at a time, depending on the size of the skillet or pan.
Keep the heat to its lowest. Use a heavy skillet or pan or else the bread can get too much browned or burnt from the bottom.
Also, keep the heat to its lowest when making the entire recipe. You can use any variety of bread like brown bread, white bread or whole wheat bread.
18. Lightly toast the bread slices and then flip them.
19. Now, quickly top the bread slices with the prepared paneer mixture.
20. Top with grated mozzarella cheese. You can also use cheddar cheese, processed cheese or pizza cheese.
21. Keep the heat to its lowest. Place a lid on the toasts.
If baking, first preheat oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C/392 degrees F. Then, bake the toasts at 200 degrees C/392 degrees F.
Begin by lightly toasting the bread in oven. Next, place the toppings and bake till cheese melts.
22. Cook till the cheese melts and the bread slices are toasted well.
23. Remove with a spatula and place the Paneer Toast slices on a plate. Sprinkle some red chili flakes, dried oregano or mixed herbs if you want. Red chili flakes can be skipped also.
24. Serve Paneer Toast hot or warm, accompanied with mint chutney, tomato ketchup, sandwich chutney or sriracha sauce. For more tasty bread snacks, check this collection of Bread Snacks recipes.
- If you are baking this Paneer Toast, then preheat your oven at 200 degrees C/392 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then, lightly toast the bread slices first, top with the paneer mixture and cheese and finally bake till the cheese melts.
- For capsicum, you can use red, green or yellow capsicum. I have used the red one. You may add boiled sweet corn too in the paneer mixture.
- Along with the other spices, a little bit of black pepper powder or crushed black pepper can also be added.
- Choose your favorite variety of bread to make this dish. For cheese, you can use mozzarella cheese, pizza cheese, cheddar cheese or processed cheese.
- Use a heavy pan or skillet or tawa to toast the bread, or else there are chances of the bread browning too much and getting burnt from the bottom.
- While serving Paneer Toast or Paneer Cheese Sandwich, you can sprinkle some red chili flakes, dried oregano or mixed herbs on top of the toasts.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Paneer Toast | Paneer Cheese Sandwich
This Paneer Toast is an easy yet delicious open toast Paneer Cheese Sandwich that is made with a savory, spiced paneer filling and topped with mozzarella cheese. You can make this scrumptious snack on your skillet, frying pan or tawa and even in a regular oven.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 25 mins
For paneer filling
Preparing paneer stuffing
Grate 1 cup paneer and set aside. You can also crumble paneer.
Heat 2 teaspoons butter or oil in a frying pan or a small kadai.
Once the butter melts, add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
Saute for some seconds till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Next add finely chopped onions and finely chopped capsicum.
On a low to medium-low heat, sauté till the onions turn translucent and soften.
Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix very well.
Add paneer. Mix well. Then switch off the heat.
Lastly season with salt as per taste.
Mix again very well and keep the pan with the paneer stuffing aside.
Making paneer toast
Now grate 1 cup mozarella cheese and set aside.
Take the bread slices. You can slice off the side crusts if you prefer.
- Spread a bit of butter or oil on a heavy skillet or tawa. Keep the heat to its lowest. Do use a heavy skillet or frying pan or else the bread can get too much browned or burnt from the bottom. Also keep the heat to its lowest when making the entire recipe.
- Then place the bread slices on it. You can keep 2 to 3 bread slices at a time depending on the size of the tawa or pan. You can use any variety of bread like white bread, whole wheat or brown bread or multi grain bread.
Lightly toast the bread slices and then flip them.
Now quickly top the bread slices with the paneer stuffing.
Top with grated mozzarella cheese. You can also use cheddar cheese, processed cheese or pizza cheese.
Keep the heat to its lowest. Place a lid on paneer cheese toast slices.
Cook till cheese melts and the bread slices are toasted well.
- Remove with a spatula and place the paneer cheese toast slices on a serving plate or tray. Sprinkle some red chili flakes or oregano if you want. Red chili flakes can be skipped.
Serve Paneer Toast hot or warm accompanied with coriander chutney, mint chutney, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce or sriracha sauce.
- If baking then preheat oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius/392 degrees F. Then at the same temperature, first lightly toast the bread in oven. When the bread is lightly toasted, carefully spread the butter, place the paneer filling and grated mozzarella cheese on top of the bread. Bake till cheese melts.
- Use good quality paneer and cheese. Make sure they are in their shelf period and not gone rancid.
- Feel free to add your preferred herbs or spices or sauces/chutneys to the toppings.
Paneer Toast | Paneer Cheese Sandwich
Amount Per Serving
Calories 632 Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 27g169%
Trans Fat 0.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Vitamin A 950IU19%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.3mg18%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin B12 2µg33%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
Vitamin D 0.4µg3%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 27µg7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Paneer Toast recipe post from the blog archives first published in October 2017 has been updated on 30th July 2022.