Paneer Tikka Pizza (Tandoori Paneer Pizza)
Fusion food is the present, it is also going to be the future in a big way! Two of the ways we Indians like to fuse our food is Indo-Chinese and Indo-Italian. The Paneer Tikka Pizza may look intimidating, but is our very own fusion version which is easy to make and is toothsome. This fusion Tandoori Paneer Pizza is a must try for all lovers of pizza, paneer and Indian flavors.
About Paneer Tikka Pizza
A pizza, being junk food, usually has a bad reputation when it comes to health. However, when we are creating and recreating recipes at home, we can be selective and opt to choose ingredients consciously so that a little adjustment can be made.
I have done the same for this Paneer Tikka Pizza as well by using a healthier alternative for the pizza base, that is, whole wheat flour (atta). All the other elements, except for cheese, essential for a pizza are also made from scratch at home. This includes the Indian cottage cheese (paneer) as well.
The homemade pizza sauce that I use for this recipe is my preferred one. It is mentioned in the recipe card and you can check this Pizza Sauce recipe too, which is a separate post completely dedicated to it.
As is obvious by the name Paneer Tikka Pizza or Tandoori Paneer Pizza, this is a fusion pizza where the base and sauce are Italian and the main topping, that is, paneer tikka is Indian. Also, while the recipe card mentions the recipe for this also, you can check this Paneer Tikka recipe as well.
Paneer Tikka also called as Tandoori Paneer are paneer cubes that are marinated with a flavorful mix of thick yogurt, spices, herbs and are grilled later. One of the key flavor element of this fusion pizza variant is the delish paneer tikka. Keep in mind that making paneer tikka will take a bit of your time.
If you are in a hurry, you can check my recipe of an easy Paneer Pizza which takes less time to prep, does not use the typical tikka marinade and is easier to assemble.
Another fusion thing that you can do to make this Tandoori Paneer Pizza completely Indianised is to use a makhani sauce instead of the authentic pizza sauce.
Making it is also not so difficult. Begin with making the pizza bread dough and keep it for leavening. In the meantime, prepare the paneer marinade and keep it for 30 minutes to an an hour. Then, get on to the pizza sauce. After the dough has doubled in size, start assembling the pizza.
How to make Paneer Tikka Pizza
Prepare Pizza Base
1. In a bowl, mix ½ teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons dry active yeast (or 1.5 teaspoons instant yeast or rapid rising yeast) in lukewarm water for 10 to 12 minutes.
After 10 to 12 minutes, when the yeast mixture looks bubbly add 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 cup whole wheat flour.
2. Stir and mix with a spoon or spatula. Add 1 cup more of whole wheat flour and stir again.
You will see the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. Add the last 1 cup flour and using your hands begin to knead the flour.
3. Knead to a smooth, soft and elastic dough. Rub water all over the dough and keep in the same bowl to leaven the dough.
Cover the bowl with a lid or a kitchen napkin and keep aside for the dough to leaven.
Prepare Tikka Marinade
4. Whisk 4 tablespoons thick yogurt (hung curd) or Greek yogurt until smooth in a mixing bowl.
Then, add all the ground spice powders and herbs.
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste or 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger – crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala or Tandoori Masala
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or black salt or regular salt as required
First Mix the spices and herbs with the whisked yogurt.
Add 125 to 150 grams cubed paneer, 1 medium onion, layers separated, 1 medium diced or cubed tomato and 1 medium diced or cubed bell pepper.
Fold the paneer and veggies with the spiced yogurt mixture gently.
Cover bowl with lid and set aside for minimum 30 minutes at room temperature to marinate or for 1 to 2 hours to marinate in the fridge.
Prepare Pizza Tomato Sauce
5. Puree 2 medium tomatoes in a blender to a fine consistency. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté 3 to 4 small to medium size chopped garlic cloves for some seconds.
Add the pureed tomatoes and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Next, add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, ½ to 1 teaspoon dried oregano, black pepper powder and salt as required.
Stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Keep the sauce aside.
Assemble and Bake Tandoori Paneer Pizza
7. After 1:30 to 2 hours the dough would have leavened and doubled in volume. Divide the leavened dough into 2 or 3 parts depending on the size of your pizza pan.
Roll the dough into a circle or oval keeping thickness of ¼ inch. Place the pizza base in a greased and dusted baking pan or tray. Brush olive oil on the rolled pizza base.
8. Spread the prepared pizza sauce on the pizza base. Evenly arrange the marinated paneer and vegetable cubes on the pizza.
9. Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on the pizza as needed. Bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes or more till the pizza base has been baked, the edges of veggies are golden and cheese has melted.
Remember to preheat your oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes before you bake.
10. Remove Paneer Tikka Pizza from the oven and serve hot with tomato sauce, red chili flakes and Italian herb mix.
- Using olive oil for this Fusion Pizza Recipe will give you the best result. In case you don’t have or can’t source, use any neutral flavored oil.
- Reduce the spice quantities in the paneer tikka marinade if you are making it for kids or prefer having less spicy food yourself.
- Half the dough can be used to make the pizza. The remaining part can be refrigerated for later use.
- Ensure to stay around and keep an eye while the Tandoori Paneer Pizza is getting baked. The time differs from oven to oven.
- You can make 2 medium size pizzas from the pizza sauce mentioned in the recipe.
Here’s the procedure: Keep a heavy and thick bottomed pan/tawa/skillet on sim or low heat, spread some oil or butter all over and cook the rolled pizza dough till the base is light brown.
Turn it over, quickly spread pizza sauce and add all the toppings along with the cheese. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the pizza on low heat, till the base turns golden and crisp, and the cheese melts.
Keep everything ready so that you can assemble the pizza quickly, while the other side is cooking. Always cook on low heat.
Neatly fold the edges all around for this result.
Yes, you can use it. However, do not expect a similar melty and stretchable structure that is achieved by using mozzarella cheese.
Yes, you can use dried basil leaves in the seasoning and sauce for this pizza.
Yes, but only if you microwave has a convection mode. You cannot bake this pizza in the microwave mode.
The texture of the pizza base will be light and soft if it is made with all-purpose flour (maida), whereas a whole wheat flour or atta pizza base will be slightly dense and not so light.
Olive oil is what makes a pizza different than any other breads. It ha a distinct aroma which is what has been used for traditional pizzas since ages. In case its not there at home and you want to make this pizza immediately, use any vegetable oil.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Paneer Tikka Pizza (Tandoori Paneer Pizza)
By Dassana Amit
Paneer Tikka Pizza is a fusion pizza variant where the pizza base is made from whole wheat flour dough and topped with a layer of pizza sauce, marinated paneer tikka cubes, mozzarella cheese.
4.91 from 11 votes
Prep Time 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 2 hrs 40 mins
for the pizza bread base
for the paneer tikka
For the pizza sauce
Preparing the pizza bread base
Warm 1 cup water in a bowl.
Stir and dissolve the ½ teaspoon sugar in it. Sprinkle the yeast and stir to mix.
Cover and keep this mixture for 10 to 12 minutes at room temperature.
After 10 to 12 minutes when the yeast mixture bubbles and froths, then add 1 cup flour, salt and olive oil.
Stir the mixture well.
Then add another cup of flour and stir to mix again.
The flour mixture would begin to leave the sides of the flour.
Add the last cup of flour and begin to knead the dough.
Working with your hands, knead the mixture, till you get a soft, smooth and elastic dough.
If the dough appears dry, then add some water.
If the dough is little sticky, its alright. But if it is too sticky then sprinkle some flour and continue to knead.
Rub some water all over the pizza bread dough and keep in a covered bowl for 1:30 to 2 hours for the dough to leaven.
Whisk the yogurt in a bowl till smooth and creamy.
Add all the ginger-garlic paste, carom seeds, salt, lemon juice and all the spice powders mentioned above.
Check the taste of the marination and add more salt or lemon juice or the spice powders if required.
Chop the paneer into cubes.
Dice the onions, bell pepper and tomatoes.
Add the paneer cubes and the diced veggies to the yogurt marinade.
Fold in gently so that the paneer and veggies are evenly coated with the marinade.
Cover and set aside for minimum of 30 minutes at room temperature or for 1 hour to 2 hours in the fridge.
Preparing the pizza tomato sauce
Rinse and then chop the tomatoes.
Puree the tomatoes to a fine consistency in a blender.
Heat olive oil in a small frying pan or skillet
Then add finely chopped garlic and sauté for 10 to 12 seconds.
Add the tomato puree and sauté for 3 to 4 mins.
When the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the sauce thickens.
Keep the sauce aside.
Assembling paneer tikka pizza
- When the dough has doubled up and nicely leavened, then divide the dough into 2 to 3 parts. Note that 2 parts of the pizza dough will give you a medium-sized pizza 3 parts will give you a small pizza.
You can refrigerate the remaining dough if not using it immediately.
Grease the baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle some flour on it.
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius at least 20 minutes before you begin baking.
Roll the dough on a dusted work flour surface to about ¼ inch thickness all over.
Place the rolled dough on the greased baking pan or tray.
Brush some olive oil on the pizza base.
Next spread the tomato pizza sauce evenly.
Now top the pizza evenly with the marinated paneer cubes, bell pepper, onions and tomatoes.
Arrange the olive slices if using.
Sprinkle grated or shredded mozzarella cheese on the top as needed.
Bake the pizza in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or more till the cheese has melted, the pizza base is cooked and browned, and the veggies have a golden brown edges. The paneer will also be cooked by then.
Remove and serve the paneer tikka pizza hot with tomato sauce or your preferred dip and seasonings.
- If making for small kids, then reduce the spice quantities in the tikka marinade.
- You can make pizza from half of the dough and refrigerate the remaining part.
- The baking time varies from oven to oven, so do keep an eye whilst the pizza is baking in the oven.
- The tomato pizza sauce mentioned in the recipe can be used for two medium pizzas.
Paneer Tikka Pizza (Tandoori Paneer Pizza)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 587 Calories from Fat 261
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 10g63%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Vitamin A 1702IU34%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 6mg30%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 43mg52%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin K 20µg19%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 175µg44%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Like what you see?
Stay up to date with new recipes and ideas.
This Paneer Tikka Pizza recipe from the archives first published in October 2013 has been republished and updated on 13 June 2022.