I have a little surprise for you today that I dreamt up while testing brand new, delicious snack recipes for the #AmbitiousCookbook. You know my very first cookbook has to include plenty of epic snacks, and this recipe was just SO good that I had to share it with you early right here on the blog.
These are my coconut key lime pie energy bites made with just 4 ingredients and packed with sooo much fresh, tangy, sweet key lime pie flavor. Remember this Coconut Key Lime Pie Smoothie from last year? I took that creamy goodness and magically turned it into easy grain free energy bites that will have your taste buds dancing.
There are plenty of fun ways to customize these bites with more mix-ins and even a little extra indulgence. Any way you make them I know you’re going to LOVE this incredible new snack recipe. Roll ’em up and remember to get all of my latest cookbook updates on this page!
Ingredients in these key lime pie energy bites
When I say 4 ingredients, I mean it! These grain free key lime pie energy bites are SO easy to make, naturally sweetened, and packed with healthy fats to keep you satisfied. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Cashews: you’ll need raw cashews to help create the “base” for the energy bites (instead of rolled oats, which I often use). They’ll give the energy bites a delicious boost of healthy fats.
- Dates: soft, pitted Medjool dates provide stickiness to hold the bites together, plus natural sweetness. No honey or maple syrup needed!
- Lime: we’re using both fresh lime juice and lime zest to really bring out that key lime pie flavor.
- Coconut: some unsweetened shredded coconut helps bind the bites together and give them a lovely tropical flavor. I love rolling the bites in extra coconut for the perfect treat.
Don’t forget this tip for softening dates
You may need to soften your dates if they’re not already soft. To do so soak your pitted dates in 1 cup of very warm water for 5-10 minutes. This will help them soften up and make them perfect for blending in your food processor. While the dates are soaking you can get all your other ingredients out, measured and ready.
Our fav nutritional boosters
Looking to add some extra protein, omega-3s, fiber, and/or healthy fats? Try blending in 1 tablespoon of:
The dough is plenty “moist,” so you can add any of these boosters right in when you blend the dough in your food processor!
Add a little indulgence
To make these energy bites a little bit more of a treat, try folding in 1 tablespoon of mini white chocolate chips, or melting some white chocolate chips with a little coconut oil and drizzling it on top of the bites. If you’re going with the drizzle, just be sure to freeze the bites for 30 minutes first, drizzle the chocolate, and then freeze again for 10 minutes before eating so that the chocolate solidifies.
Key lime pie energy balls in 3 easy steps
- Make the “dough.” Add all of the ingredients (except the extra shredded coconut) to a food processor and pulse together until well combined.
- Shape the bites. Use a small cookie scoop or your hands to roll the mixture into 14 balls.
- Jazz ’em up. Yes, you can enjoy the bites as-is, but I LOVE rolling them in extra shredded coconut! Refrigerate the bites, and then enjoy.
- To store: these vegan key lime pie energy balls will last for 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To freeze: feel free to add them to a freezer-safe bag or container and store them for up to 1 month. I prefer these energy bites straight from the freezer, and I’d recommend letting them soften up for about 5-10 minutes in the fridge or at room temp before eating them.
Get all of our kitchen essentials here!
More no bake snacks to try
Get all of my no bake snacks here!
I hope you love these coconut key lime pie energy bites! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Coconut Key Lime Pie Energy Bites
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Grain free coconut key lime pie energy bites naturally sweetened with dates and made with fresh lime juice and zest for the ultimate key lime pie flavor. Roll the energy bites in extra shredded coconut for the perfect snack or treat to fuel your day!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup soft pitted Medjool dates (about 10 large dates)*
- ½ cup fine shredded unsweetened coconut
- Zest from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fine shredded unsweetened coconut, for rolling
Add all ingredients except the extra shredded coconut to a food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined and sticky. Roll into 14 balls. Next roll in shredded coconut if desired and place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Feel free to freeze these for up to 3 months.
*You may need to soften your dates if they’re not already soft. To do so soak your pitted dates in 1 cup of very warm water for 5-10 minutes. This will help them soften up and make them perfect for blending in your food processor. While the dates are soaking you can get all your other ingredients out, measured and ready.
Serving size: 1 energy bite
Saturated fat: 3.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats