I know a lot of people who just dislike capsicum. I never really understood this. Precisely why I chose to create this Capsicum Sandwich recipe because I’m sure once all those people try this, they’ll change their perspective about this humble, but nutritious veggie. This Bell Pepper Sandwich is quick, easy, yummy and full of lovely flavors.
About Capsicum Sandwich
This Capsicum Sandwich is a favorite of mine for all those times when I’m running short of time, still have to rustle up a delicious breakfast quickly. Capsicum imparts all its chilli like flavor and texture to the sandwiches, yet not make them hot.
Along with the capsicum, I add more vegetables as per the availability at home. For instance, some of the veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions and tomatoes, are always there at home. So, I incorporate these too in this Capsicum Sandwich recipe.
When adding potatoes, boil and then add. You can also add boiled sweet corn, and beetroot also makes a healthier choice in place of carrot. It also adds a beautiful natural color to the sandwich filling. A variation to this sandwich is this Corn Capsicum Sandwich which has tender corn paired with capsicum.
I also add cheese for that delish gooeyness. Paneer can be added too. This Capsicum Sandwich is not spicy at all, hence kid-friendly. Assembling and preparation is pretty hassle-free too. Best had with tomato ketchup, mint chutney or chili sauce.
How to make a Bell Pepper Sandwich
1. In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or shallots, 3 tablespoons finely chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum or green bell peppers and 1 crushed or minced garlic.
2. Add ½ cup tightly packed grated cheddar cheese or processed cheese. You can also add grated or crumbled paneer instead of cheese.
You can opt to add more cheese if you prefer.
3. Add the seasonings listed below:
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or ½ tablespoon chopped basil leaves
Instead of basil, choose to add chopped cilantro, parsley or mint leaves. Use herbs which you have or the ones which you like.
For the spices and seasonings opt to use Italian seasoning or any of your preferred seasonings. You can add Indian spices or herbs like red chili powder or chopped green chilies, garam masala and some chopped coriander leaves (cilantro).
4. Mix everything. Check the taste and then add salt. Just a pinch or two is fine as cheese already has salt.
Make Capsicum Sandwich
5. Spread softened butter thinly on the bread slices. You can slice the edges from the bread if you want.
6. Spoon the capsicum filling on half of the slices..
7. Cover with the remaining slices.
8. Grill or toast the sandwiches in a preheated electric sandwich maker (or panini press) or with a hand-held stovetop toaster till golden and crisp. The sandwiches can also be made on a frying pan or skillet.
Spread some butter on a hot skillet. Place the sandwich on it. When one side is browned, turn over carefully and toast the other side till golden and crisp.
You can also grill them in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C/392 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and toasted.
9. Once toasted, spread some butter on top of the sandwich if you want.
10. Serve cheesy Bell Pepper Sandwich with tomato ketchup, chili sauce or coriander chutney.
- Breads that can be used – brown, whole wheat, white, multigrain, oats. Sourdough bread also tastes wonderful in these sandwiches.
- Instead of only using the green capsicum or green bell pepper, you can use a mix of all the three colored bell peppers. Omit the tomatoes if you do not prefer them.
- Cheese that can be used – cheddar, mozzarella, processed, paneer or use a mix of two cheese.
- You can use your favorite fresh or dried herbs in this Bell Pepper Sandwich recipe. Add chopped mint leaves, chives, parsley in place of basil. You can use the seasonings and spices that you prefer. Other Indian herbs and spices can be used too.
- These sandwiches can be grilled or toasted on a skillet or frying pan. You can choose to toast them in an oven or use a panini press.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Capsicum Sandwich | Bell Pepper Sandwich
This Capsicum Sandwich or Bell Pepper Sandwich is a breeze to make. Filled with a stuffing of green bell peppers, aromatics, tomatoes and cheese, this makes for a quick cheesy snack.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 25 mins
In a bowl, add finely chopped onions, finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped capsicum or green bell peppers.
Add grated cheddar cheese or processed cheese. You can add more cheese if you like.
- Add the seasonings – black pepper powder or crushed black pepper, dry oregano, dry basil. Instead of basil you can add chopped cilantro, chives, parsley or mint leaves. Use herbs which you have or the ones which you like. You can also use Italian seasoning.
Mix everything. Check the taste and then add salt. Just a pinch or two of salt is fine as cheese already has salt.
Making capsicum sandwich
Spread butter evenly on the bread slices.
Spoon the prepared capsicum stuffed on half of the buttered slices and spread it neatly and evenly on the bread.
Cover with the remaining buttered slices.
- Grill or toast the capsicum sandwich in a preheated electric sandwich maker or panini press till golden and crisp. The sandwiches can also be made on a frying pan or skillet. Simply spread some softened butter on a hot skillet. Keep the sandwich. When one side is golden, turn over carefully and roast the other side till golden and crisp.
Spread some butter on top of the toasted sandwiches if you want.
Serve capsicum sandwich with tomato ketchup or chili sauce.
- Make these bell pepper sandwiches with any colored bell pepper you have on hand.
- Skip tomatoes if you are not fond of them.
- For the cheese, use grated or shredded cheddar, mozzarella or processed cheese. You can also use cheese slices.
- Feel free to include fresh herbs or dried herbs that you like. Add you favorite seasonings and spices.
- Scale the recipe to make for kids parties or small get-togethers.
Capsicum Sandwich | Bell Pepper Sandwich
Amount Per Serving
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin A 801IU16%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 13mg16%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 14µg13%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 16µg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Capsicum Sandwich post from the archives first published in July 2015 has been republished and updated on 8 June 2022.